Sunday, October 16, 2011

Revenge of the 30 Day Song Challenge - Day 15

Day 15 - A One Hit Wonder

"Bad Day" - Daniel Powter, Daniel Powter (2006)

After a much deliberation (and a long hiatus), I have chosen the top selling song of 2006 for this post. "Bad Day" is what you call a true one hit wonder meaning no other Daniel Powter song has since charted on the Hot 100. You would think that the artist with the biggest selling song of the year would go on to have a illustrious career but this is not the case. In fact, this isn't even the first time this happened; in 1958 Domenico Modugno top the year end chart with "Volare" and never again graced the pages of Billboard
. I digress...

As you know, I pretty much ignored anything Top 40 throughout my high school years. But I was still definitely aware of "Bad Day". I liked it fine. Nothing to go through the trouble of downloading on Limewire though. I never minded the song until my senior prom. Some douche bag DJ actually played "Bad Day"...at prom. Yes, it was the #1 song at the time, but Jesus Christ, prom is supposed to be dancing fun happy times not a bad day. Unfortunately, it put me off the song and I totally blame the DJ who went on to play Chris de Burgh's horrendously soft rock "Lady in Red." Fuck him. Fuck him. He ruined my prom. (Not really). I digress...

Recently, I've been listening to songs from my high school days and I have grown fond of "Bad Day". While the lyrics are somewhat depressing, the melody is uplifting and I can't help but feel good when I hear it. I think the song had such an appeal because everyone has bad days. Duh. The song sympathizes with you but isn't pushing you into a dark corner of melancholia. Tomorrow will be better.

Fuck that DJ though.

No comments: