Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Revenge of the 30 Day Song Challenge - Day 6

Day 6 - A Song From a Musical


"I Still Believe" - Lea Solanga and Claire Moore, Miss Saigon (Original London Cast) (1989)


You all know how I feel about movie musicals, but what about straight up stage musicals? Well, it's not that different. I'm not what you call a fan. I have seen only one that I wasn't in or involved with behind the scenes. (A shitty summer stock production of Grease, for the curious). And by the way, I know how moronically ironic it is for me to have been a theatre major and not really give a shit about theatre.  


Once again, I must say that I am not anti-musical. I just...don't...sighAnyway. The song.


I have never seen Miss Saigon, mostly because there is no film version. It's basically Madame Butterfly set during the Vietnam War. An American soldier (Chris) and a Vietnamese "bar girl" (Kim) fall in love and later on the soldier returns to Vietnam with his wife (Ellen) and learns the bar girl had his bastard child.


Some time in the first act, Kim sings about how she still believes Chris will return to Vietnam to get her and her baby. Meanwhile, Ellen sings about how Chris has secrets that she wants to understand and that she believes they will one day work out their issues and have a better marriage. Personally, I don't think there are enough chick-on-chick duets. (Or maybe there are and I don't watch enough musicals). Anyway, this song is well-written and fun to sing.


No comments: