Tuesday, July 19, 2011

30 Day Movie Challenge - Day 2

Day 2 - A Movie You Hate (Or Just Plain Really, Really Don't Like)


It would be too easy to do The Notebook. Plus, I'm supposed to cover it in my Jordyn vs. Nicholas Sparks series (Oops). Therefore, I'll pick another movie that grinds my gears. The #1 Slumber Party Staple of Oakesdale, Washington's Class of 2006: 


Coyote Ugly (2000)


Violet Sanford (Piper Perabo) is just a small town girl livin' in a lonely world with big dreams of being a songwriter. So after saying goodbye to her family and friends, she heads to the Big Apple in search of fame and fortune. What she finds is not what she expected! Everyone rejects her demo tape! And her apartment gets robbed! Bummer. Luckily, Violet meets Lil (Maria Bello) the owner of Coyote Ugly, a saloon where all the bartenders are skinny, mid-driff baring hotties. The other gals, Cammie (Izabella Miko), Rachel (Bridget Moynahan), and Zoe (Tyra Banks), show Violet the ropes and she slowly overcomes her crippling stage fright.


Yep. That's pretty much all that happens. Oh, her dad (John Goodman) has a heart attack or something. And she has a romance with some banal, but hot Aussie named Kevin (Adam Garcia). And of course, she eventually becomes that famous songwriter who pens tunes for LeAnn Rimes. Literally LeAnn Rimes. She has a cameo. :-)


Coyote Ugly is one of those movies that, at first glance, it's just a movie. A sort of stupid, but vacantly entertaining-at-the-moment movie. But if you don't love it, the way I didn't in junior high, and you are forced to watch it at every damn birthday/sleepover you attend, well, that mild entertainment fizzles. You soon realize just how fucking stupid and plotless and unoriginal it is. (Seriously how many times have we seen the small town girl try to make it big?)




I suppose if the female form gets your rocks off, you'll probably enjoy the writhing T&A that makes up most of Coyote Ugly. Which is why I've never understood the appeal of this movie to my thirteen year old peers. Unless it was to live vicariously through the table dancing and bottle twirling? That must be it. Mystery solved. They were too young shake their kitties for tips n' drinks then, but now that we are of age, I wonder if this movie is still enjoyable for them?



2 comments:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I'd love to do this 30 Day Movie Challenge, but from the looks of things, I'll probably end up putting all thirty movies in one post. =P

But first to come up with a movie I "just plain really don't like." That's actually tougher than it sounds. =/

PS -- Coyote Ugly as a slumber party staple? I feel your pain!!!

PPS -- And I've only seen it once! LOL!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Okay, I just realised that this was originally your friend Andrew's idea and not yours. *blush* So now I'm going over to his blog to leave him the same comment I just left you! =P