Sunday, June 26, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge - Day 23

Day 23 - A Song You Used to Hate But Now You Don't

"Wuthering Heights" - Kate Bush, The Kick Inside (1978)

One night in the summer of 2007, I was looking at the Wikipedia pages for various English classics. On the Wuthering Heights page there was mention of this monstrous hit song from 1978...a hit song everywhere but the U.S. I was intrigued, so I Youtubed it.

GAH! It was awful. The video was of this woman in a white dress shrieking for Heathcliff. I HATED IT. But then it wouldn't leave my mind, so I kept listening to it over and over and OVER again. By the next day, I had downloaded three different versions of the song. Then I reread the book. Then I bought 10 film versions of the book. Then I wrote my own screen version...

Oh, Kate Bush, how you unwittingly changed my life.

1 comment:

Kevin Casey said...

Hi Jordyn!
When I first saw a Kate Bush video I thought it was a really well made parody. Doubt crept in, "she's SO committed to this dancing," and I realized she was the realest of deals.
Just a check in from a fan!