Monday, March 15, 2010

Best Original Song - 1963


"So Little Time" from 55 Days at Peking sung by Andy Williams


Movie Synopsis: Diplomats, soldiers and other representatives of a dozen nations fend off the siege of the International Compound in Peking during the 1900 Boxer Rebellion.


Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? I have no clue.
Is it important to the plot? Ditto.
Is it pleasing to the ear? N/A



"Charade" from Charade sung by Chorus 


Movie Synopsis: Romance and suspense in Paris, as a woman is pursued by several men who want a fortune her murdered husband had stolen. 


Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the opening/end credits)? No...opening credits.
Is it important to the plot? Establishing mood, I guess?
Is it pleasing to the ear? B


"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" from It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World sung by  Chorus 


Movie Synopsis: The dying words of a thief spark a madcap cross-country rush to find some treasure.


Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the opening/end credits)? According to the IMDb page, it appears during the Overture. But I watched/listened to the credits sequence, and there were no lyrics.
Is it important to the plot? If it's only in the opening sequence, I guess not.
Is it pleasing to the ear? If it's the same tune as the other music I heard, the C+.


"Ti guarderĂ² nel cuore (More)" from Mondo Cane


Movie Synopsis: The original "shockumentary" consisting of a collection of mostly real archive footage displaying mankind at its most depraved and perverse, displaying bizarre rituals, cruel behavior, and animal violence 


Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? I do not know.
Is it important to the plot? Well, with Mondo Cane being an "shockumentary" I have no idea why this tender, pop standard love song could possibly fit anywhere in it.
Is it pleasing to the ear? A-


"Call Me Irresponsible" from Papa's Delicate Condition sung by Jackie Gleason


Movie Synopsis: A small-town family man gets into trouble whenever he drinks too much.


Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the opening/end credits)? Maybe. Jackie Gleason is credited as singing it, so it could be sung within the movie.
Is it important to the plot? I don't know.
Is it pleasing to the ear? B.


---------------------------------------------------------------
So what won?
"Call Me Irresponsible" from Papa's Delicate Condition




What would I have voted for?
"Charade" from Charade. I haven't seen any of these movies, but knowing that Charade is a Hitchcock movie, I feel the haunting melody of "Charade" fits it's movie best...as far as I can tell.




Analysis
I'm rather bummed that I only got to hear 3 out of the 5 songs for 1963. Expect a lot of that though. My only source is Youtube. "Call Me Irresponsible" is a huge pop standard that I knew before I started looking into BOS winners. (Perhaps it's best that it won, since it's the only one of the bunch to be easily recognized by modern audiences). I also very much enjoyed "More" although I wonder how in the hell the song ended up in such a movie. The Italian title translates to "I will watch you in the heart" so, it's still a love song...maybe. I was also interested to learn that at least one other song from a documentary was nominated for BOS. (Other than 2006's recent winner "I Need to Wake Up" from An Inconvenient Truth.)

No comments: