Sunday, March 14, 2010

Best Original Song - Introduction

I have been following the Academy Awards since 2004. After Return of the King swept in 2003, I decided that I wanted to watch all 77 (at the time) best picture winners. In the span of a year, through borrowing, renting, buying, Netflix, and religiously studying the schedules of TCM, AMC, and Fox Movie Channel, I succeeded in my goal. Since then, I've tried to see the nominees before the actual ceremony. (This year, I failed so tremendously). Anyway, Best Picture isn't the only category I care about. I also have a special place for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Song.

Over the course of the past decade, I've been disappointed with nearly every Best Original Song winner. So I've decided to take an in depth look at all the former nominees and winners, and decide if, in my humble opinion, the song of any given year deserved to win.

Here's a little background information for you. The Best Original Song category was added in 1934. Until 1941, the only requirement to nominated in this category was for the song to appear in the movie. Then the rules changed so the song must be written for the movie specifically.

I am not going in any specific order, so if any of you readers out there would like me to choose a particular year, just let me know. I will soon be posting a blog on 1991, one of my favorite years. I figure I should start on a high note. Pun intended.

No comments: