Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Best Original Song - 1993

"The Day I Fall in Love" from Beethoven's 2nd sung by Dolly Parton and James Ingram


Movie Synopsis: Beethoven the St. Bernard dog becomes a father, but his girlfriend Missy is dog-napped, and his puppies are in danger of the same fate.


Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? Yes.
Is it important to the plot? It establishes Beethoven and Missy missing each other.
Is it pleasing to the ear? B+.


"Philadelphia" from Philadelphia sung by Neil Young


Movie Synopsis: An attorney sues his firm for dismissing him for having AIDS.


Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? I don't know.
Is it important to the plot? Uhhh....It's depressing like the movie.
Is it pleasing to the ear? B-.




"Streets of Philadelphia" from Philadelphia sung by Bruce Springsteen


Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? I don't know.
Is it important to the plot? Ditto.
Is it pleasing to the ear? D.


"Again" from Poetic Justice sung by Janet Jackson


Movie Synopsis: A young woman turns to poetry after she loses her boyfriend.


Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? I don't know.
Is it important to the plot? Maybe
Is it pleasing to the ear? B+.


"A Wink and a Smile" from Sleepless in Seattle sung by Harry Connick, Jr.


Movie Synopsis: A recently-widowed man's son calls a radio talk show in an attempt to find his father a partner.


Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? Yes.
Is it important to the plot? I don't think so. I don't even remember during which part of the movie it's in.
Is it pleasing to the ear? D+.


So what won?
"Streets of Philadelphia" from Philadelphia
 What would I have voted for? 
"The Day I Fall in Love" from Beethoven's 2nd


How could I not choose a love song that has the words "roll over Beethoven, come play with me" in it? Oh, this song is awful. But awful in an early 90's, power ballad sort of way. I'm surprised it was taken seriously at all.

Analysis
The songs from Philadelphia are awkwardly sandwiched between Disney's domination. They're both such depressing songs, which I suspect fit the movie perfectly. I also discovered that I really liked the song from Poetic Justice, which is also very 90's and sickly sweet.

No comments: