Sunday, March 14, 2010

Best Original Song - 1991

I have to say that 1991 is the best year for Best Original Songs. Now, yes, I am biased because three of the songs up this year are from my favorite movie and I love them all. But I very much enjoy the other two as well.

Songs nominated (in alphabetical order):

"Beauty and the Beast" from Beauty and the Beast sung by Angela Lansbury

Movie Synopsis: A young peasant girl sacrifices her freedom to save her father from vicious beast whom she later falls in love with.

Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? Yes.
Is it important to the plot? Um, kind of. It basically reiterates everything we've seen in the movies, and acts a slow dance song. However, this does bring Belle and the Beast physically closer.
Is it pleasing to the ear? A+

"Be Our Guest" from Beauty and the Beast sung by Jerry Orbach, Angela Lansbury, and Chorus

Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? Yes.
Is it important to the plot? Yes. It shows everyone in the castle's readiness to welcome Belle and introduces the minor characters further. 
Is it pleasing to the ear? A+

"Belle" from Beauty and the Beast sung by Paige O'Hara, Richard White, and Chorus

Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? Yes.
Is it important to the plot? Yes, it introduces Belle as a well read, lonely woman and Gaston as a self-centered, narcissist and her entire village who doesn't understand her.
Is it pleasing to the ear? A+

"When You're Alone" from Hook sung by Amber Scott

Movie Synopsis: When Captain Hook kidnaps his children, an adult Peter Pan must return to Neverland and must reclaim his youthful spirit in order to challenge his nemesis.

Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? Yes.
Is it important to the plot? Kind of. Maggie is trapped on Captain Hook's ship and sings this song to the pirates. Jack hears it and is reminded of his mother. Peter also hears it and probably remembers it even more.
Is it pleasing to the ear? A

"Everything I Do (I Do it For You)" from Robin Hood: King of Thieves sung by Bryan Adams

Movie Synopsis: When Robin and his Moorish companion come to England and the tyranny of the Sheriff of Nottingham, he decides to fight back as an outlaw.

Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? As score...but then not played fully until the end credits.
Is it important to the plot? Nope.
Is it pleasing to the ear? A

So what won?

"Beauty and the Beast" from Beauty and the Beast.

What would I have chosen?
"Belle" from Beauty and the Beast. I know, I'm a little surprised myself. But I think this song is more important to the overall movie. Plus, I've always been a little irked that Angela Lansbury sings the love song in this movie, but whatever. "Belle" is definitely a more show stopping number. Plus, the character actually sings in it. By no means am I complaining about what won. It's actually my second choice. I'm just glad one from this movie won!


Analysis
Like I said, this is one the best years for BOS category and the first year to have three nominees from the same movies. Since then, this has occurred three more times with The Lion King in 1994, Dreamgirls in 2006, and Enchanted in 2007. The last two times, all the votes have canceled each other out, and the third or fourth place song has won. I am so happy this didn't happen with Beauty and the Beast. (Or The Lion King for that matter).

Believe it or not, 1991 was not the first year a Disney movie won BOS. Not even close. Disney has been rather successful with nominations and wins. But more on that at a later time. This concludes my first Best Original Song blog. I will pick another random year...right now. How about 1963? Good? Good.

1 comment:

Andrew Testerman said...

Seriously? "Everything I Do," the panultimate Bryan Adams slow songs of the 90's,was made for Robin Hood??? Huh. Life's funny that way sometimes.