Saturday, November 7, 2009

"7 Things" - Miley Cyrus

Because I don’t talk about enough mediums of entertainment and pop culture, let’s add music videos to the mix, shall we? Music videos are a fascinating medium. My first exposure to them was on MTV in the mid 90’s, not unlike many of my generation. However, it was against my will. The teenage son of a family friend was over and he got control of the remote. Naturally, he turned it to Beavis and Butthead. The titular characters were watching a very disturbing music video. I have no idea what it was or who it was by. There were bugs and medical supplies and the goddamn thing reminded me of everything I hated in the 90’s. I have deduced through Wikipedia, that the video is “Closer” by Nine Inch Nails. (I still can’t bring myself to watch that damn thing).

But that will be as far as my mention of that video will go. Here, for my first music video review, I’ll talk about the exact opposite of “Closer”, the horrendously catchy “7 Things” by Miley Cyrus.

Description
Miley stands in front of a band, while being intercut with several other girls singing along with the lyrics. Each of them portrays their love/hatred for the subject of the song by clutching teddy bears, throwing flowers, and destroying diaries.

Why I like it…
Okay. I know this is a stupid video. I’m actually kind of ashamed. At 21 years old, you would think I would be beyond it. But that’s the thing…at 21, I still remember what it was like to be 14 and that over dramatic about my love life. At that age you can’t think of anything else. At least, I couldn’t. It was all consuming and dangerously addictive to be so infatuated with someone who treated you terribly one day and then like a queen the next. This video may seem laughably juvenile, but I assure you, inside all of us grown up women in their 20's, is a crying, screaming 14 year old clutching that $5 tear soaked teddy bear. (Except me. I hate stuffed animals. I clutch my Spider-Man pillow). We are not beyond feeling this way, but life has made it unacceptable to let it out in this melodramatic fashion.

P.S. This girl's my favorite.

Watch the video here on youtube.

No comments: