Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Grand and Epic Disney Animated Feature Ranking Attempt

Summer is here, and yet again, I have a desk job that allows me to sit on my ass and dissect movies. My goal this summer is to view all 48 Disney Animated Features, rank them, fully explore them in my special way and publish a blog about each one for all you fine people out there.

Obviously, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't love Disney. Specifically, I love the DAF's because they are what started the whole world wide Disney phenomenon. I have ranked these movies once before in the summer of 2006, a couple weeks before I came to college. My friend Karen and I marathoned about 5 movies a day and then compared lists. Yep, we were super cool teenagers. What makes me even cooler is that I'm doing it again...just for shits and giggles, at age 21.

That summer, we watched the films chronologically. It's quite the experience and I would suggest doing it some time. But for the sake of fun and suspense, I'm going to use the old draw-randomly-out-of-the-cup method. Here are the official rules of The Epic and Grand Disney Animated Feature Ranking Attempt:

1. Each DAF from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs to Bolt will be listed on small pieces of paper, put in my awesome Beauty and the Beast cup I got at Disneyland, and picked at random.
2. I am not allowed to watch any of the DAF's until I draw it from The Cup.

3. One film must be chosen and watched each night and then written about the next time I have work (usually the next morning).

4. All films will be ranked after viewing.

I know what you're thinking...didn't I already do this, with my favorite films, but I only got to ten movies? Well, yeah...thanks for mentioning it, jerk. I did actually continue watching the movies and ranking them, I just got overwhelmed with school so I stopped writing blogs. But since I have a lot of free time this summer, I will probably be simultaneously posting blogs for both Epic Ranking Attempts. I know how badly you want to read them.

So, since we have all that out of the way, I will now be choosing the first DAF, which will be watched some time tomorrow and blogged about on Sunday...unless it's Bolt. That's the only one I don't have, so I'll have to Netflix it or rent it or something...I digress.

Okay...here it goes...right hand in cup...left hand typing slowly...and the first film to be viewed in The Epic and Grand Disney Animated Feature Ranking Attempt is...


FANTASIA 2000

All right, dear readers, check in on Sunday for a rousing review!

FYI...here is the official canon:

1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
2. Pinocchio
3. Fantasia
4. Dumbo
5. Bambi
6. Saludos Amigos
7. The Three Caballeros
8. Make Mine Music
9. Fun and Fancy Free
10. Melody Time
11. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
12. Cinderella
13. Alice in Wonderland
14. Peter Pan
15. Lady and the Tramp
16. Sleeping Beauty
17. 101 Dalmatians
18. The Sword in the Stone
19. The Jungle Book
20. The Aristocats
21. Robin Hood
22. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
23. The Rescuers
24. The Fox and the Hound
25. The Black Cauldron
26. The Great Mouse Detective
27. Oliver & Company
28. The Little Mermaid
29. The Rescuers Down Under
30. Beauty and the Beast
31. Aladdin
32. The Lion King
33. Pocahontas
34. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
35. Hercules
36. Mulan
37. Tarzan
38. Fantasia 2000
39. Dinosaur
40. The Emperor's New Groove
41. Atlantis: The Lost Empire
42. Lilo & Stitch
43. Treasure Planet
44. Brother Bear
45. Home on the Range
46. Chicken Little
47. Meet the Robinsons
48. Bolt

And for shits and giggles...what's coming up...
49. The Princess and the Frog (2009)
50. Rapunzel (2010)
51. King of the Elves (2012)

No comments: